Páginas

domingo, 21 de octubre de 2012

THE VERB "CAN"




Can is the first modal auxiliary verb we are going to study. For an introduction to auxiliary verbs see further units.
Uses: If you say that you can do something, you mean you have the ability to do it, or you have the knowledge or skill to do it. There are of course other uses of can which will be explained later.
  I / you / he / she / it / we / they can
           Can has the same form for all the pronouns.

  • Affirmative forms
I can scuba-dive.....Can you scuba-dive?

You can play basketball


  He can fly! Well, he is Superman....

She can play baseball

  It can play hockey!!!

We can ride a bicycle
They can speak English

  • Negative forms
For negative sentences use can + not (can`t)
You can`t water ski....It`s very difficult!
She can`t play football...
It can`t walk, run or fly .
We can`t drive like him....

They can`t speak Japanese


  • Interrogative forms

 A) Short questions /short answers

Can I fly a kite?
                               Yes, I can No, I can`t

Can you solve this addition?
                                               Yes, I can No, I can´t

Can he program a computer?
                                                          Yes, he can No, he can`t
Can she lift 50 kilos?
                                   Yes, she can No, she can`t

Can it carry a leaf?
                                 Yes, it can No, it can`t
Can we play like them?
                                                Yes, they can No, they can`t
   Can they speak Greek? Yes, we can No, we can`t

B) Some examples of wh questions with can (ability, skills etc)

What languages can you speak? I can speak Spanish, Italian..
What sports can you play? I can play tennis and golf
Who can write in Japanese? I can
How fast can you run? I can run very fast!




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario